Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Daniel and I are on a summer softball team with CSC Sports in Minneapolis. We've been playing with the Gold Gloves for the past four years, and although it's always been fun, this year's team is by far the best, even if we've only won one game out of the five we've played.

Yesterday was a nailbiter of a match up. We started off strong, with 4 runs in the first inning, and we held the other team down to zero up until the bottom of the fourth, when a couple of unforced errors in our infield and some lousy calls from the ref. gave our opponents a 4 run lead. In the fifth inning, we scored another couple of runs only to lose two more to them in the sixth.

So at the bottom of the sixth inning we are down 4 points and we somehow have the bases loaded for Daniel who is up to bat. As he steps up to the plate I see that the next team to play has arrived at our field and they've brought their dogs along for the game. There are 4 dogs in all, and of course I can't help myself and immediately walk over to say hello.

I'm obsessing over a really stunning Bull Dog when I hear the crack of the bat and my whole team yelling and shouting. I turn around to see all three runners and Daniel sprinting around the bases, and it appears that Daniel has hit the ball pretty hard, because all the runners make it home. So of course I miss his stunning Grand Slam and the best hit all season, because I'm playing with Vinny the Bull Dog, instead of cheering on my team...

Unfortunately we gave up another four runs in the top of the seventh and were only able to produce three in the bottom, for a final score of 13 to 14, and we lost the game by one lousy point.

But folks, it was a close one, and a lot of fun.

This toy box from Zanies is functional and super cute. Not sure if it's big enough though to hold all of our balls, frisbees, dogs toys, bones, etc.

No comments: