Thursday, July 10, 2008

Redemption

We were fairly incomunicado on our trip West, but I did manage to receive one very important phone call from my mom in Minnesota, who told me how our dog Gus, the one I was so incredibly disappointed with last week, had found Mr. Puppies, her cat who had been missing for almost two weeks. And my love for him was redeemed.

Mr. Puppies had went out one evening as he always does, and didn't return in the morning. We walked the neighborhood many times over, looking for him and calling his name, but our searching was futile and we began to think he was gone forever.

Just as this sad realization was beginning to settle, Gus decided he wanted to take a walk down an alley street he's never traveled. My mother, holding the leash, thought it was so strange that Gus would want to veer off course, and pulled the dogs the other direction, towards their favorite park. Despite her tugging however, Gus refused to move (he can be very determined) and ultimately lead my mom down the alley to where Mr. Puppies was crying desperately on top of a garage roof.

Getting Mr. Puppies down was a difficult endeveor in itself, requiring a ladder and a lot of coaxing. The poor cat was terrified, hungry, dirty, and exhausted, but glad to be back in my mother's arms. Mr. Puppies has never had much of an affinity for Gus, but I wonder if his feelings towards him will change, seeing as the dog saved his life.

In honor of Mr. Puppies' safe and surprising homecoming, I'm featuring this wool cat blanket from Mungo and Maude. We're all so happy Mr. Puppies is back, and we're thankful to Gus who brought him home.

1 comment:

bruno said...

Poor Mr. Puppies!!! This post made my plane delay in New York much more enjoyable.