Saturday, October 18, 2008

Who Let The Dogs Out?


There's been a lot written about Jeff Koons' sculpture exhibition at Versailles. In fact, the opening of the show was so wrought with controversy that it sparked artistic debate all over the world. 

There's not much I can add to the commentary, other than to say that I for one loved the exhibition, especially and to no surprise, the Balloon Dog sculpture.

It's one thing to see a photo ( I took this one!) of this work of art, and another thing to be in the same room with it. I really enjoyed the contrast between the modernist dog sculpture and the historic art and architecture that is Versailles. I was also able to see many similarities between the two: both extravagant, intense, and over the top works. 

I honestly think Louis the XIV would have enjoyed this exhibit, if only for the giant pink balloon dog. I know I did. 

No comments: