Thursday, October 9, 2008

Are You Crazy?



My German is pretty bad, although I have managed to master the most important phrases I will need to know here: "where are the bathrooms?" and "may I pet the dog."

And as if my limited German, American accent, and strong extroversion didn't single me out enough as an outsider, I'm also faced with the fact that only small children ask to pet dogs in Germany!

But I just can't help myself... and so I keep getting very surprised looks from dog owners and everybody around me when I ask if I can pet the dog! I think most of the people I've met are flattered that somebody as old as I am would want to pet their dog, and they just smile and laugh as I get down on my knees to play with their friend.

The only thing that could possibly make me stand out more than I already do is this adorable sweater from Anthropologie! Or maybe it would help me out, since people would be able to tell right off the bat that I'm not crazy, and that I really just love dogs? 

It's also possible I'd get the opposite reaction, and people would think I'm a looney for wearing a dog on my sweater! At this point, it's hopeless I think, and I'm just going to continue being who I am, and make as many doggy friends as possible. 

No comments: