Monday, October 6, 2008

Gus Look!



I've been in Germany now for 5 days, and the truth of it all is that I'm missing those dogs. Yeah, the ones at home with Grandma... those dogs. I'm comforted knowing that they're having a good time at least. This would would have been impossible if we'd had to find a dog sitter for three months. We just wouldn't have been able to leave. 

So despite the acute sense that two of my best friends are so far away from me, I'm relieved that they're in loving hands. Just yesterday I received  a hilarious email from my mom that went on and on about how she has recently discovered how to trick Gus into going out for walks even when he's not up for it. She writes: 

With Gus, he is usually pretty easy going, and will follow Charly on most of our walks. But lately, he has started to put his foot down, and especially in the evening, when he sometimes doesn't want to go anywhere at all, and just simply refuses to go anywhere but back home. It is very disconcerting because this delays the walk, makes it slow, and sometimes prevents it all together. 

What did I find out? I found out that the rascal understands : Look! So, when I can't get him to move, I will say: Gus! Looook!!!! And I will point towards the direction I want him to go! He perks his ears, he wags his tail, and he starts running as fast as he possibly can, towards that rabbit he thought I was pointing at! 

I don't know how many times I will be able to cry wolf before he takes the hint that I am tricking him, but so far it has been the solution to our walking problems.

The funny thing about my mom's newfound insight is that Daniel has been working this trick for years now, and Gus is still falling for it. Ha!

And our product today is this incredibly cute and apropros piece of wall art from Ballard Designs called The Inconsolable Print. Well,  I'm not quite inconsolable, but I do miss my boys. 

No comments: