Wednesday, April 1, 2009

After Dinner Mint?

Yesterday evening turned out to be way more eventful than Daniel and I had planned. It started off just fine. We met with a potential wedding florist right after work, stopped at the grocery store for some dinner ingredients, and then made our way home to walk the dogs and cook supper. And then everything went downhill...

Dan and I have our household chores pretty well divied up. Most of the things we split equally. If he cooks dinner one night, then it's my turn the next night. If he cooks, I clean. If he walks the dogs, I take out the trash. If he washes the laundry, I fold it, and vice versa. Tit for tat as they say.

Yesterday was Dan's turn to cook dinner, and my turn to walk the dogs. Of course a simple dog walk turned into a nightmare when both dogs decided to sniff out and proceeded to consume massive amounts of left over dog poop from somebody else's pup!

As soon as I realized what was happening I yanked them back from the crime scene, and then forced my gloved hand into their mouths. I had to yank out huge baseball sized poops, and Charly especially had poop all over his mouth and snout! It was horrifying!

So I cut the walk short, and rushed home. I had to interrupt Daniel in the kitchen for him to help me get the boys into the bath tub and washed. The smell eminating from their mouths was so revolting that it took the two of us several washings each to thoroughly clean them up.

Yesterday's incident was almost as bad as the time Gus got into a thick foamy coat of slime on Cedar Lake. But not quite. Note to first time dog owners or people who do not own dogs: Most dogs eat poop. Some eat it more frequently and some eat it less, but almost all of them eat poop, either their own or somebody else's.

I remember being horrified when Charly did this for the first time as a pup. I immediately called the veterinarian and she told me it was normal behavior. I hung up the phone, and stood there dumbfounded at this new information I had learned.

Charly doesn't eat poop very often, but once in a while, especially in the Spring when the ground is at its most fertile with left over thawed dog poop from the winter, he gets into something gross.

Look at this beautiful pristine retro biscuit dinner jar from Barker and Meowski. Too bad Gus and Charly won't be getting any treats for a while. Just Kidding!

No comments: